The sites shown below are good starting points, since all contain references to Traditional Folk Song.
- musicweb-international.com/encyclopaedia for long-ish biographies
- All Music Guide (AMG) more extensive biographies including picture gallery and discographies. Also gives "similar artists" listing.
- artistdirect more concise artist information. Also gives "similar artists" listing.
- slipcue the website of San Francisco Bay Area DJ, Joe Sixpack ~ the celtic section; bios and album reviews.
I have made use of the above sites in my research, but of course cannot reproduce their biographies here for reasons of copyright.
- My Songbook is a beautifully coded website containing the folksong index of Susanne's collection. You can set a "Midi Radio" to play in the background.
- English folk music performers An interesting labour of love by Martin Nail, who writes "An increasing number of English folk music performers have Web pages, created by themselves, their agents and/or record companies, or by fans. They range from the obsessively complete to basic one-page information on current gigs." Check out his home page too.
- Fol-De-Rol = Folk On Line Directory of Events and Recording Order Listings
- Digital Tradition Server (USA) The Mudcat Folk and Blues Site with search engine for lyrics and email discussion forum
- The English Folk Music collection of Reinhard Zierke at uni-hamburg.de is another labour-of-love site, containing useful information included many lyrics for dozens of UK Folk Singers
- Musical Tradition (UK and Rest Of World) complete online magazine with articles and reviews
- Folk Roots Magazine (UK) known as fROOTS the online version has info and snippets about the monthly periodical and back issues info, festival contact lists, links, etc
- Dirty Linen (USA) the Baltimore periodical for Folk & World Music. Snippets and links, also back issues.
- RootsWorld the online magazine of world and roots music
- Cambridge Folk Club (UK) information on song titles
- Song database the tunebook
- abc music notation includes list of abc sites
- English Folk Dance & Song Society
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library a Sheffield University site that contains much information on the EFDSS's library and links to other sites.
A number of excellent Web reference sites for the Child ballads are detailed in Lesley Nelson's (The Contemplator) site or Dani Zweig's site
ANNE BRIGGS | BERT LLOYD | CARA DILLON | CYRIL TAWNEY | DAVE & TONI ARTHUR | ELIZA CARTHY | FRANK PURSLOW | HILARY JAMES | JANE THRELFALL & CARL HOGSDEN | JO FREYA | JOHN GOODLUCK | JOHN PEARCE | JON SCAIFE & BOB BRAY | KATE RUSBY | KATHRYN ROBERTS | MARIANNE FAITHFULL | NANCY & SANDRA KERR | NIC JONES | PETER BELLAMY | SHIRLEY COLLINS | TONY ROSE | TREES | VIKKI CLAYTON | HOME | BALLADS | TIMELINE | LINKS | MAILFORM